I expected Tim to add his own “Cooksian” flair to the keynote - lost his opportunity in my opinion. To be fair he had a big shoe to fill, but I expected more. A lot more. Today’s keynote saving grace; the 8MP camera and Siri implementation.
Everything else was pretty much announced at WWDC.
- 100,000 visitors: Took LA store a month, Shanghai store did it in a weekend.
- Hong Kong store sold more Macs on opening day than any other store in the world.
- 357 stores in 11 countries. Will “raise the bar at retail”.
- Lion downloaded 6 million times (I am a happy Lion user)
- In terms of install base: Windows7 in 20 weeks, Lion in 2 weeks.
Macbook Air, Macbook, Macbook Pro:
- Mac outgrew PC market in the US by almost x6
- For 5 years, Mac has outgrown the PC market and approaching 60million users
iPod & iTunes:
- iPod is the number one music player in the world.
- US market share remains a cool 70%
- Sold 300m iPods to date. It took Sony 30 years to sell 230k Walkmans.
- Started with 200k songs on iTunes, now have 20m songs. 16B downloads.
- iPod Nano updated. Fitness “out of the box”. I wish this came out a year ago :(
- iPod Touch “#1 Portable Game Player”
* Ultra thin design (White version included!)
* Retina display
* HD Video Recording
* iMessage: Free over WiFi
- Constantly rated #1. 93% of the Fortune 500 are testing or deploying the iPhone (!!!)
- iPhone is only 5% of the worldwide market of handsets
- iPhone 4S
* Retina Display
* A5: 2x faster processing, x7 faster graphics than previous iPhone
* 8 Hours of Talk Time
* Intelligent antennas for better call quality
* HSDPA 14.4: Double the data download rate from previous iPhone
* GSM and CDMA
* 8MP, high-end IR filter, Wide f2.4, 73% more light than iPhone 4 sensor, 1/3rd faster
* Face detection, 26% better Auto White Balance
* 1080p HD Video Recording with Image Stabilization, Real Time Noise Reduction
* Airplay Mirroring (watch movies, game on a larger screen)
* Siri Intelligent Assistant!!!!!!!!
* Black and White - 16GB @ $199, 32GB @ $299, 64GB @ $399
*** iPhone 3GS 8GB: FREE, iPhone 4 8GB: $99
- Customer satisfaction shows a 95% score.
- iPad pilot programs all around the US (teaching in classrooms, medical, pilots)
- 92% of Fortune 500 testing or deploying the iPad (in less than 10 months)
- 500k apps in app store. 140k+ are made for the iPad.
- Market downloading 1B apps per month, paid developers more than $3B
- “Cards”: An app that allows to you create hard copies of digital photos (think iPhoto). Available $2.99 in the US, $4.99 elsewhere starting Oct. 12th.
- 200 new user features in new iOS:
”Push to all Device”: Pick up where you left off on another device.
”Reminders”: Location-based reminders with geo fencing.
”Twitter integration”: Tweet almost everything
”Newsstand”: You’ve read about this before…
”HDR Camera”: Awesome, not a bad addition. Edit photos on device.
”Reader”: Reformatting a webpage for the device. Think “Instapaper”.
…. bored of iOS repetition from WWDC to be honest.
- FREE! Integrated to apps so everything happens automatically.
- Typical Cloud scenarios: store stuff, grab stuff on any device.
- “Latitude” for iPhone called “Find my Friends”, but with parental controls and other information sharing controls